Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Day 12

0800 GMT - Amy is heartbroken, but gale force winds and poor weather make this a poor candidate for the Aran Islands again. We decide over breakfast to try for Westport in County Mayo. It is recommended by Jim, our host at the cottages and has a nice write up in the Frommers book as well. Amy is still sore from all the driving yesterday, so I decide to take the first leg today. It is another long drive and we head through some pretty country, though almost half the drive is the same as we did on the Kylemore Abbey trip. We see a huge and beautiful rainbow, and remembering Gate's pot of gold, we try to chase it, but again, it seems to elude us. One moment it is right a few feet in front of us, then it shifts into the lake (Laugh in gaelic)or up the hill. At one point we seem to drive right through the end of the rainbow, but it seems the leprechaun must have run with his gold to the OTHER end.




I get attacked as we are driving by some sheep dogs who are lying in wait. One of them leaps up from where he is lying and charges my front wheels... I am shocked and swerve to avoid hitting him. After the initial surprise, Amy and Eamon get quite a laugh about the attack sheep dogs.

1200 GMT - We arrive in Westport which is an adorable town. It should be a must on anyone's Ireland trip. It is as cute as Galway without the crowds. There is quite a bit of foot traffic about the shopping district with only two days left before Christmas, but nothing like the mobs we found in Galway City. I find a lot to park in, and actually get into a space where all four of us can get out. It is a heavy drizzle, but my shoulders and mid back are so sore from carrying Connor in the backpack all day yesterday, I have to put him in the stroller. We head to a pub that Amy saw while we were navigating the area looking for parking. Lunch is good and we are introduced to the Irish "cracker" tradition. They have these little wrapping paper twists on the place settings. In the center is a cardboard tube with little toy prizes in it. Eamon collects all of these and we read the jokes that are also kept in side. We don't get the "cracker" name yet.

1330 GMT - We leave the pub and Amy and Eamon head off down the alley away from all the stores, and I decide to keep my mouth shut and just tag along. Suddenly I come upon a little store called Westport Designs, and I have found the store where I will buy Amy's present. I shoo Amy and the boys along, and talk to the artist. He makes great jewelry, I love his work. He explains his inspiration and themes for a few pieces, but I am drawn to one in particular. He tells me that it is a standing stone, and the symbol on it is a linking of the three energies of the island, the sun, the ocean and the land. I know this is the right one...lucky me, it is all silver and costs less than 1/2 of the other pieces I had been looking at. Unfortunately, he wants cash, and I go off on an adventure to find a cash machine that will let me take out money! The first fails, but the second succeeds and I return to the shop where he has it all ready. He is so happy that I tell him he has made my week that he throws in some cool postcards with pictures shot by a friend of his as a bonus to send back to the states and make all our friends jealous. We are so bad about post cards, that I doubt they will get sent from here...

1500 GMT - We try in vain to find a cafe where Amy can nurse the baby, Eamon can have a snack and I can get on the internet. We are only able to satisfy two of those. Neither of the internet spots have food OR coffee or comfortable places to nurse and change a baby. I still don't know the score of the game, and it has been a week since I last posted! Eamon orders cold chocolate milk, which he does not drink. While he and Amy wait in line for the toilets, I try to let Connor have a sip. While I am trying to get the straw into his mouth, he grabs the cup and pours the whole mug in our laps. We are both soaked and the floor is as well. A nice man leaving the cafe sees the whole thing and returns to the counter to bring me some serviettes, and Amy sends the woman from behind the counter over with a big towel to mop up the mess. I however, have a huge soaking chocolate stain from my crotch to my ankles. Eamon thinks all of this is quite funny and starts chanting..."Dada peed his pants! Look Mom, dada wet his pants!" The only reason I am not marching around full of fury is that I finally have the gift I wanted to buy. We head home with Amy driving and once again leave her as the only person awake.




We have to stop at the gas station to buy some dinner, and this wakes up Connor who once more serenades us with his tale of woe the rest of the way home. Our friend is there to welcome us. Eamon and I head off to wrap presents, read a little Lemony Snickett and head off to bed. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve.

No comments: