Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Day 20

0700 GMT - Awake again. We shower and dress, bundling up for our walk to breakfast. We stroll to the alley where we ate dinner last night, to find the little breakfast place we had seen on the way. When we locate it, we are surprised to find, despite the sign with their listed hours saying that they open at 0800, the staff are having a meeting and will not be opening until 0830. We start walking looking for another option. We pass a few possibilities, but I am not feeling like just having coffee and pastries and Amy feels a little uncomfortable at the one sit down place we find, so we keep searching. After a while Amy becomes quite aggravated and we begin arguing about which place we should have stopped at. Finally we find somewhere that everyone seems to be happy with. Eamon had been asking for thin pancakes like Maraed had made for him in Bunratty, but when we sit down with the menu he decides on sausage and eggs. I order the French style pancake and a side of bacon, knowing he will probably end up eating what I order again. If he does not, I am sure Connor will. Amy orders oatmeal and toast. My French style pancake turns out to be a monstrosity. It is about 6 inches in diameter, and maybe 1.5 inches thick, and it is somewhat overcooked and black on one side. It is a very good thing that Eamon did not order it. While we eat, I look at our two maps....one of the Ireland roads to plan the route to Dublin, and one the great Dublin street map that Amy bought for me for Christmas. We plot out the drive to Dublin and I even find the little street near St. Stephen's Green where our Apartment is. With this map we won't be driving around aimlessly lost like we did last night. Finally Eamon and I get up and leave Amy and Connor to head back to the hotel and finish packing while we run some errands. We stop in a Pharmacy to pick up a few things and then I FINALLY get into a sporting goods store where I find a 50% off sale and the perfect set of running clothes for cold, misty weather. They are not waterproof, but they are better than layered sweat shirts! We head back to the hotel and I load up the car while Eamon watches a cartoon. Once the car is packed and we are checked out of the hotel, I suddenly realize that I have no idea where the two maps we looked at in the restaurant have gone. I unpack a number of bags, scour my pockets and search the car to no avail. We decide that we must have left them in the restaurant and decide to drive by and check. Unfortunately, we still don't have a map of Cork, and we can't seem to navigate anywhere near the restaurant on the one way streets and suddenly find ourselves trapped in rush hour grid lock. I leave Amy parked illegally, within eyesight of traffic police, and I run (literally) off through the streets to find the restaurant. It takes me a while and I am looping around a bit, but finally I find it. Alas, no maps, the staff didn't find anything. I find my way back to the car, running again, just as the traffic police are telling Amy to move along. She sees I have no maps, but says, "Well, at least you got your run in..." We head out of the city on my memory and following the signs.
1000 GMT - Actually, getting out of the city proves quite easy. We hit the road and make great time. Amy drives and I navigate off the map in the Frommer's Ireland book. It is not as detailed as the rental car map that I lost, but it does the job. I have some rudimentary maps of Dublin in both the Ireland book and the Dublin book that Amy bought for me for Christmas. The towns and scenery flies by, and we avoid stopping to ensure that we can make it to Dublin before dark and meet the apartment manager. Amy had called her from the hotel in Cork and let her know what time we were expecting to make it to Dublin. We stop for lunch in a little town whose name I can't remember and choose the little cafe over the pub inside the hotel. Lunch is quiet and curt, Amy and I are still fuming over yesterday, and I seem to have run out of patience with Eamon. After lunch I take Eamon to a little corner grocery to pick up water, snacks, and he chooses to spend his daily money (this is a new thing we are trying as of today) on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comic book. It is more than the 3 euro he is allowed each day, but I chip in the extra 50 cents. We load everyone up in the car, and I take over driving. One more stop for diesel before we hit the city, and the next thing you know we are in Dublin.
1800 GMT - Well, we promised the apartment manager that we would get there by 1800, and we are still navigating traffic when that time rolls around. Despite the map, we struggle to find the way we want to go due to the preponderance of one way streets, and a lack of clear signage. We finally cross the river, but are looping round and round as Amy struggles to read the map, and I struggle with traffic. Finally I pull over into a garage where we are not supposed to be, and switch places. I look at the map, and quickly see where we went wrong. Amy is a much better driver, and I am a much better navigator. This is something we need to remember in the future. Even though Amy argues with me I tell her where to turn and when and next thing you know we are pulled up to the gate in front of the apartment. Amy has the manager open the gate and we park, pledging not to go near the car again until it is time to go home. Amy checks us in and I start unloading the car. I take everything out for the first time in a week, it will all need to be repacked for the trip home. Amy pledges to do the garbage clean up. The apartment manager is very sweet, and shrugs off our apologies for being late when we know she has New Year's plans. She says she still has another tenant who has yet to check in and is several hours late. She gives us a quick tour of the apartment and shows us how to work the appliances. I get directions from her to the grocery and she loans me a sack. The stores charge extra if you don't bring your own sack. I run out to the grocery store to pick up some dinner, choosing some frozen pizzas and some beer. I get back to the apartment to cook the pizza only to find that there is no stove, only a microwave and some electric burners. We get creative and try to cook the pizza in a frying pan.
2000 GMT - Bath time was a big failure. There did not seem to be any hot water and we can't seem to get the heater working. Amy places a call to maintenance, but we realize with tomorrow being New Year's Day, we are unlikely to have much help before Monday, which is still two days away. I set up Eamon's bed by pulling out the couch, only to find that this was not the plan. We decide to leave it pulled out, at least for tonight. I read Eamon some Lemony Snickett, and we are all off to bed.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

The largest cab service in its range, the Minibus seats a maximum of up to 9 adult passengers with full luggage; or a maximum of 13 adult passengers with no luggage.