Thursday, December 30, 2004

Day 6

0830 GMT - It is an earlier morning, and after spending a little time online, Amy and I set Eamon up to play with some toys while we start packing. After a bit of packing we head off to Aberfoyle to do some shopping and mail some postcards. There really aren't a lot of shopping choices in Aberfoyle. I buy myself a nice sweater, and pick up some small presents for Amy. She has informed me repeatedly that this trip is her present and that I am not to buy anything "big" for her.

1300 GMT - We get caught in a downpour while shopping and hop into a pub that has a "Children Welcome" sign out front. Eamon finally gets to have a sponge pudding, though it is not a treacle sponge, it is good enough, with hot syrup and warm custard. We watch an older teenager (18 or 19) and his dad play pool and drink a few pints. In the connecting room a Christmas party starts and the bar fills with people from the party ordering drinks. A few other families with kids come in and it is quite lively. This is a bit more like I expected our vacation to be like, and we decide to try and throw a few more pub lunches like this in to our schedule.

1500 GMT - We return to the lodge to do a little more packing . Eamon gets restless so we head out to the pool. We make sure to get lots of play time in with both kids and take turns with Connor. We head back up to the pub to have a wee snack and a pint. On the way back to the lodge I make sure to check out. We have to pay for all the electricity we use, and they tell me that I should drop off the key in the morning with the night porter. We have an 8:15 flight, and the airport is about 1 1/2 hours away. We also have to fill up the car with diesel and check in for our flight, so we build some extra time in and decide to leave by 5am and be up by 4. We finish the packing and I line everything up to load the car in the morning. I head to bed by 10:30 to try and get enough sleep.

No comments: